Thursday, March 15, 2007
Buttermilk Raisin Pie
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup raisins
1. Place raisins in a heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over them to cover. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to plump.
2. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
3. Roll out dough pastry as necessary and place in pie dish.
4. Using a hand mixer, beat the melted butter and sugar together.
5. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well.
6. Add the flour,salt, cinnamon, and buttermilk. Beat until thick and creamy.
7. Drain raisins from liquid, and add the plumped raisins to the buttermilk mixture. Mix in with a spoon and pour into the pie shell.
8. Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes. Reduce heat, and bake at 350ºF for another 50-60 minutes.
9. Pie will turn a nice golden brown and will not jiggle when shaken. A knife inserted into the middle will come out clean when pie is done.